About STC and our Chapter
The Society for Technical Communication's East Tennessee Chapter (STC-ETC) is the regional chapter for East Tennessee. Each regional chapter provides its membership with a framework for professional development, as well as publications and educational opportunities.
Technical Communication encompasses many disciplines--documentation to Web publishing. We use it to bring understanding to the users of technical products and ideas. As technical communicators, our "product" is to explain how to use the complicated scientific and technical advances that the twentieth century brings to the world.
STC-ETC provides a range of activities including an annual conference, membership meetings with guest speakers, community service, and technical publication and art competitions. STC-ETC offers something for every member--whether you want to just attend meetings or become more actively involved.
Keep Informed of Chapter Events!
Join our email list to receive notice of upcoming chapter meetings and events, as well as job leads. To join, follow this link or choose "Join Listserv" from the menu.
Membership is open to everyone. There are several membership types which provide a range of benefits to meet your needs!
For more information:
* Send mail to the Society of Technical Communication, 901 North Stuart Street, Suite 904, Arlington, VA 22203.
* Visit the Society's Membership Information page.
Why Join STC-ETC?
STC-ETC supports technical communication through:
* Conducting the Technical Publications and Art Competition
* Funding the Blakely Scholarship
* Publishing "Transcript" (local newsletter)
* Organizing and producing PCOC (regional conference)
STC-ETC supports our members through:
* Holding meetings featuring topics of current interest
* Hosting a yearly potluck dinner to discuss the STC Annual Conference
* Providing networking opportunities
* Helping with job searches
These are just a few of the many advantages that STC offers its members. Other benefits include publications, insurance, and scholarships.
As a member of STC-ETC, you may receive the following publications online or by mail:
* Intercom (STC newsletter)
* Technical Communication (STC scholarly journal)
* transcript (STC-ETC newsletter)
STC members can apply for health, disability, and other insurance at STC group rates through Mutual of Omaha. Call Mutual at 800-624-5554 for more information. An independent consultant would appreciate this benefit.
This University of Tennessee scholarship was established to honor the late J. Paul Blakely, a three-time president of the East Tennessee Chapter, a long-time member of the WATTec Sponsors Committee, and Assistant to the President of STC for many years. The scholarship winners are English majors with an emphasis in technical communication. Winners are selected on the basis of written applications and the judgement of a committee consisting of technical communication faculty members at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and a senior member of STC. The scholarship is awarded at our annual awards banquet following the Technical Publication and Art Competition.